Wednesday, October 14, 2009

White House: Fox often airs false news

The White House took another poke at Fox News yesterday, saying many of its reports are false.

"I have watched many stories on that network that I've found not to be true," Robert Gibbs, the White House press secretary, told reporters. But, trying to soften the blow, he added: "I think everybody in this room has been on the receiving end of a phone conversation with me when I've had issues with your stories. I don't think that's new."

Gibbs had been pressed by internet journalist Tommy Christopher  on whether White House spokeswoman Anita Dunn's blast at Fox might have a chilling effect on speech.

In his report, Christopher said that he had never been on the receiving end of such a call from Gibbs.

As Christopher noted, President Obama had told the New York Times of a "television station that is entirely devoted to attacking my administration." It was understood that Obama meant either the local Fox station or the Fox network.

This suggests that the decision to go public with criticism of Fox stems from the president.

But, as Christopher noted, so far the White House seems to be attacking Fox with "plastic army men, or something."

No comments:

Post a Comment